Eczema Books for Children
Eczema can really take a toll on our little ones. They have varying degrees of unsightly red patches on their skin. They sleep poorly since they’re up half the night itching. The itching can consume and distract them from otherwise fun activities like play time, eating, spending time with family. Their diets are often limited due to food allergies. As parents we tote them around from doctor to doctor trying to determine the best treatment plan. We test different creams on our children to find the best one, many which end up stinging their delicate skin. On top of all this, many children with eczema must deal with bullying, which frightens the heck out of me.
That’s a lot for our kids to deal with and it can be really hard for them to understand why they have to go through all of it.
Unfortunately, the selection of books about eczema or atopic dermatitis is limited, to put it mildly. I’ve tried to track down hard bound books for Tristan to keep, but I haven’t had much luck. If you know of any, please share the titles with us in the comment section.
What I have found are a few online books which I’ll share with you here. Tristan found most of them pretty interesting. The children’s eczema books definitely helped him understand that he’s not the only child with eczema in the world, which definitely lifted his spirits.
- Under My Skin – (Free) Download the entire book or individual chapters about the physical side of eczema, triggers, the emotional side, or the healing side.
- Max Swings Again – (Free) Go to the Interactive Book tab to view this online book. Cute story and pictures about Max the monkey and his eczema. Great website with many other interactive features for young children.
- Buzz Starts a New School – (Free) Go to the Interactive Book tab to view this online book. This one is for older school age children and is about a robot’s first day at a new school and how he copes with his eczema there.
- Penny’s Eggs-im-ah – (Free) Go to the StoryTeller tab at the bottom of the page to download this book in pdf format. This one is also great and prompts kids to really take control of their treatment plan.
- Malcolm Finney Medical Detective – The Case of… Itch and Rash– A kid friendly explanation of eczema tucked into a medical adventure. Best for ages 6-12.
- I Have Eczema – A relate-able story for children with eczema.
I hope your children enjoy the stories! If you know of any others, please let me know and I will gladly add them to this list.