Air Purifiers Help Relieve Asthma, Allergies, and Eczema
One year ago Tristan’s asthma seemed to be getting worse. Before he’d only had difficultly breathing and needed his Ventolin and Flovent a couple of times a year and only when he was quite sick with a virus. But just over a year ago, as spring was ending, we noticed he started coughing a little at night. We didn’t think much of it until it started worsening. He began coughing every night and would experience long coughing fits that kept him awake for large parts of the night. When we realized that the coughing was actually related to his asthma, we started giving him Ventolin a few times each night, which provided great relief. Shortly after, it wasn’t enough. We added Flovent to the routine, which I was not comfortable with, but figured it was ok as a short-term solution until I could figure out how to prevent the asthma in the first place. What was causing Tristan’s asthma to worsen?
Well, two months went by and we were using Flovent pretty regularly, we had removed the throw carpet in his room, and were regularly washing his sheets in hot water, but the asthma still persisted.
Looking For Asthma Relief With An Air Purifier
Next step, I contacted Kevin from AchooAllergy, who you may remember from his post about hidden allergies in the home a while back. I spoke with Kevin at length about Tristan’s worsening asthma and he suggested an air purifier. I had heard purifiers could be really helpful with allergies and asthma, but knew not all air purifiers are created equal, so I asked Kevin for his advice. He was very knowledgeable and discussed the best options for our family. He also pointed me to AchooAllergy’s Air Purifier Buying Guide as another great reference.
I ultimately decided on the Austin Air (at a greatly reduced price I negotiated for offering to share my opinion via this review). Here’s why I went with the Austin:
- Highly recommended by AchooAllergy and Kevin.
- Highly recommended by parents on our FB page when polled.
- It has a true HEPA filter which meets or exceeds the HEPA standard of trapping 99.97% particles 0.3 microns or larger.
- Simple system – no frills which in my experience can easily malfunction.
- Only change filters every two years.
- Made in the USA. ( I think they may be the only purifier that hasn’t gone to overseas production.)
There were a few models to select from, but Kevin indicated they were all excellent and ultimately don’t vary that much from one another except when it comes to the size. Since I was only worried about purifying Tristan’s room, we went with a JR. size, smaller, but more economical and appropriate for use in a bedroom of up to 275 sq ft.
And The Results….
We turned the air purifier on full blast on the night it arrived and have been using it pretty constantly ever since, usually on the low to medium setting now. Here’s my review:
- It works! It has DRASTICALLY reduced our need to use asthma medication as Tristan no longer coughs at night. We’re essentially back down to only needing to use the Ventolin and Flovent when Tristan’s battling a virus. And even then, we were able to reduce the frequency of asthma treatments while he’s sick.
- Truly clean air. When we run the purifier in Tristan’s room with the door shut – the air is so fresh and clean, really unbelievable. The air outside his room and inside his room is night and day different. It’s remarkable. I wish we could afford to install a purifier of this capacity throughout our house as I now feel like the air in the rest of our home is just so stale and full of allergens.
- Noise Level – Yes, it’s a bit loud, but there’s not much to be done about that – all air purifiers are quite noisy, but it’s a steady white noise and kind of soothing in a way. We found it always works great for blocking out random noises and even helped our son sleep through neighborhood construction and such. A nice bonus!
- Asthma relief – check! – We’re very happy with how our air purifier has helped relieve Tristan’s asthma as you saw above.
- Allergy relief – check! – Tristan suffers from pretty severe spring allergies each year (which started at age two) and I’m happy to say that using this purifier along with Allergex (a homeopathic tincture for allergies) made him 95% symptom free! Besides spring allergies, we’re guessing he developed a dust mite allergy which was causing his regular nighttime coughing. So, this dust mite allergies are now under control as well.
- Eczema relief – check! – Each spring Tristan’s eczema flares up terribly, but this year, nothing. Was it the purifier, was it the Allergex, was it new, improved skin care regime (Calendulis Cream and Manuka Honey Skin Cream)? To be honest, I can’t say for sure which one item provided freedom from eczema flares, but more than likely, it was a combination. We’re just so happy Tristan stayed eczema free this spring. His skin has been so great for the past year, and to be honest I was dreading this spring, but I won’t live in fear next spring. Aside from Tristan, I have heard from countless adults and parents of children with eczema who have very clearly seen relief from eczema flare ups after they started using a high-end air purifier. Since dust mites are a big trigger for many, it makes sense an air purifier can provide eczema relief.
I’m very happy we invested in a high-end air purifier. If you or your child are experiencing chronic asthma, allergies, or eczema – it may be worth giving an air purifier a try. It certainly can’t hurt, except for maybe where your pocket is concerned – but then again, you could save on asthma, allergy, and eczema medications in the long run.
AchooAllergy is offering readers 10% off any online purchase with coupon code: itchy2013
Have you tried an air purifier or more specifically an Austin Air? Did you see a great improvement in asthma, allergies, or asthma? We’d love to hear from you!